A selection of different clothing from around the world
Clothing is more than just what we like to wear; our choice of clothes depends on where we live. The whole world is full of fun, colourful and unusual items that people use as clothes. We need to remember that most of the things people wear have a lot to do with the weather.
• Can you imagine an Eskimo wearing a bathing suit as he rides on the back of a sled? Not unless he wants to become an ice cube.
• Do you think that someone living on a tropical island would want to wear a heavy wool coat? If someone tried to wear very warm clothing when it is hot and sunny they might feel as though they were melting like the Wicked Witch in the movie, “Wizard of Oz”.
Let’s take a moment to look at some of the different clothes that are worn by people in other countries.
• In Scotland kilts are appropriate for men to wear. These wraps look very much like skirts. Highlanders have worn these garments for hundreds of years. Today they are usually worn on special occasions only. Prince Charles, Prince Phillip and Prince William are just a few men who wear kilts with pride.
• A sarong is just a piece of lightweight cloth wrapped around the body and is knotted at the chest or shoulder. There are sarongs that are one solid colour and others that have beautiful patterns of flowers. Some people will also make a knot at the bottom of this wrap. This is a common item used for clothing in hot, humid climates.
• Grass skirts are now only used at dances and celebrations in Hawaii and the Polynesian Islands; but at one time the women did use them for clothing.
• In very cold climates people may use animal skins to make jackets and pants to help them keep warm. When they do they wear the fur on the inside and the leather skin on the outside.
• A sari (above) is worn by many Eastern Indian women. This is just one piece of cloth that is wrapped around the body. There are special steps that must be used to drape a sari so that it stays in place.
• Many Middle Eastern countries have very specific requirements for female clothing. A woman must cover her outfit with a Burqa (Burka) whenever they go out in public. A Burka is a cloth that covers the woman from head to foot. Some have a small opening for the eyes or face. There are others like the Chadri are designed to keep people from seeing even the eyes and face.
• Some native people in South America, Australia or Africa find that a small loin cloth is all of the clothing that they need. To us this might look unusual at first, but this style of dress is comfortable for them and is very natural.
These people and many others find many of the expensive designer originals to look strange yucky. High fashion clothing is what you see on a Paris runway. Look at some of the designs that cost thousands of pounds and then imagine what a person from the Amazon rainforest might think about it. Some of our expensive, modern clothing might really be the strangest clothes of all.
This is an original news article © The Kids Window
We have some smart and practical girls clothing and boys clothing inside.
Products available to buy at the Kids Window